Tucked away at the top of a steep hill which
looks out above the roofs of Llanddulas to the Irish
Sea is Arnold House or rather what was Arnold House.
It was in 1875 that the Reverend J C C Pipon decided
to move his boys preparatory school from Chester to
Llanddulas. In 1901 the Reverend Pipon retired and
the school was purchased by Mr C P Banks an Irishman.
The boys in their week-day uniform of gray flannel
shorts, jerseys and red caps (navy blue suits for
sunday services at St Cynbryds Church) became a fairly
common site in the village, over the years a number
of famous people attended the school, Cyril Cusack
the Irish actor, Rear Admiral C B S Bingham VC (won
at the battle of Jutland), Geoffrey Fisher who became
an Arch Bishop, Arthur Banks GC and many more. Before
the advent of the Rev J C C Pipon to Llanddulas, Arnold
House was a Girls School, conducted by the Sisters
In 1925 Evelyn Waugh the author joined the staff at
the school and it is thought that his stay there inspired
the book 'Decline and Fall' , depressed by the Spartan
atmosphere of Arnold House he often sought solace
in the local hostelry (Valentine).
In 1932 the school was acquired by an Austrian gentleman
Mr Fitz-Aucher, about 1936 the school became a limited
company and Mr Fitz-Aucher asked parents to invest,
unbeknown to anyone the money was used to buy land
in Llysfaen to develop a housing estate (Gadlas Estate)
unfortunately he ran out of money and was declared
bankrupt his misfortune did not end there, he was
interned at the beginning of the War as a Nazi sympathizer.
From 1939 to 1941 the school was run by Mr and Mrs
Gaskell, between 1941 and its closure in 1943 was
run by a Mr Robinson.
Since its closure the school has had a chequered history,
a Refugee centre, Night club, Hotel, Flats and is
now a Private House.
Arthur Banks G.C.